Another Moscow site.
Many foreign passengers are surprised that Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya line is a copy of a part of Filyovskaya line. This happened because the first line to be built there was close to the surface. The trains passed the station "Ploshchad’ Revolutsii", than went to "Aleksandrovsky Sad”, and after having passed "Arbatskaya” and "Smolenskaya”, they crossed the Moscow River by the Metro Bridge and arrived to "Kievskaya”.
However, during the Second World war, a bomb damaged the tunnel. Stalin ordered to dig a deeper underground line there. In 1953 the new part of the line was opened. Now the train goes from the "Ploshchad’ Revolutsii" to the new deeper "Arbatskaya” and "Smolenskaya”and then to "Kievskaya”. The old stations were closed at first, but in 1958 a new line to "Fili” was started and the abandoned part was reopened for the passengers.
Since then, the lines overlap, confusing the visitors.